Wednesday, April 30, 2008

May Day

May 1st used to be fun.  We danced, we took the day off and went on picnics.  Schools had May Day celebrations.  This photo was taken by my father when he was teaching in 1958.  To me, this looks like a better way to spend a spring afternoon than studying math.  Now what do we do? Work? Laundry?   




May Day was always celebrated in my house while I was growing up. My mother would have us pick flowers from the yard, place them on our neighbors' doorsteps, ring the bell and run away.  I don't do this with my neighbors anymore (a full-grown stranger leaving stuff on your doorstep is a little creepy and my current neighbors are likely to emerge with handguns).  However, it is a small occasion to do something nice for friends a family.  I plan to leave flowers on the doorsteps of my mother and with two friends, with an unsigned "Happy May Day" note.  (Running sounds like exercise, so I think I'll just leave the flowers, not ring the bell.)  This is a sweet, old-fashioned tradition and it only costs me twenty minutes of my time.  Math homework is important.  Laundry is important.  But when an occasion like May Day arrives, its nice to take time away from the everyday to make friends and family happy.  Everyone likes to get flowers; it makes their day.


May Day has a longer, more significant history than just this tradition.  If you want to read more about its origins, I suggest looking at School of the Seasons by Waverly Fitzgerald.  If you want to see more about its political significance, I suggest a timely article about recent Los Angeles May Day Protests or an overview of its significance to the solidarity movement here.

No comments: